We invited visitors to get creative in the National Motor Museum during August 2017.
BE THE FIRST TO HEAR ABOUT OUR 2018 ACTIVITIES
Sign up to our mailing list at the bottom of this page, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for all the latest news and events.
Visiting families were invited to join our drop-in creative activities, inspired by the museum's Automotive Steampunk themed project, Keep CALM and STEAM Ahead.
Supported by the Arts Council England Designation Development Fund and sponsored by the Caravan and Motorhome Club and Shell Heritage Art Collection, young visitors took part in a range of activities including designing Steampunk themed vehicles, caravans and posters inspired by the museum’s collections.
The activities were available between 1 - 24 August 2017, 11.00 - 3.00pm as follows:
Tuesdays - Design your own Steampunk caravan and build a 3D tunnel book of a famous Victorian caravan The Wanderer.
Wednesdays - Create a Steampunk-style poster inspired by the Shell Heritage Art Collection or create a flip book of a car to find out how vehicles are constructed.
Thursdays - Build a Steampunk inspired LEGO vehicle.
The activities were included in the price of your admission ticket to Beaulieu. Visitors could just drop-in and join in the exciting sessions taking place on the ground floor of the National Motor Museum.
Children's creations could be entered into a competition to win a range of prizes from Shell, Freedom to Go and the National Motor Museum, including one of four family tickets to the Beaulieu Fireworks Spectacular on Saturday 28 October 2017. Prizes were awarded in four categories:
- Best Automotive Steampunk caravan design
- Best Automotive Steampunk Shell poster
- Best Automotive Steampunk Lego vehicle
- Favourite creation chosen by Beaulieu's Facebook page visitors
Special Offer for Caravan Club Members
Caravan and Motorhome Club members can enjoy one third off the full admission price to the Beaulieu attraction for themselves and up to three guests (see the Club's Great Savings Guide for further information and terms).
Competition terms and conditions
- There will be one winner of each category.
- The prize will include a family ticket for the Beaulieu Fireworks Spectacular on Saturday 28 October 2017. It cannot be used for anything else or exchanged for its monetary value.
- By entering the competition, you give us permission to use any images created of the entry for our advertising in the future.
- Only one entry per person. Each creation may only be entered once and may not be re-entered in subsequent competitions.
- The closing date for entries is midnight on Thursday 24 August, BST.
- The winner of the following categories: best Automotive Steampunk caravan design, best Automotive Steampunk Shell poster, best Automotive Steampunk Lego vehicle, will be chosen by a panel of judges representing the National Motor Museum, Caravan and Motorhome Club and Shell Heritage Art Collection.
- Ten entries per week will be chosen by a panel of judges to enter the favourite creation chosen by Beaulieu's Facebook page visitors. The winner will be determined by whichever entry has the most likes on Beaulieu's Facebook page by midday on Friday 15 September. In the event of a tie, Beaulieu will make the final decision on the winning entry.
- Please note any defamatory comments on the entries will be deleted and that person will be banned from the Facebook page.
- The competition is being run by Beaulieu Enterprises Ltd, John Montagu Building, Beaulieu, Hampshire, SO42 7ZN.
- Prizes include four limited edition brick custom mini-kits of the record-breaking LEGO caravan which is on display in the museum. The life-size LEGO caravan, which holds the Guinness World Record as the ‘largest caravan built with interlocking plastic bricks’, was commissioned by Freedom to Go. The leisure vehicle and park industry campaign was launched to raise awareness of the lifestyle benefits and leisure vehicle ownership offers – see www.freedomtogo.co.uk for more information.