Witness the age-old tradition of seine net fishing on the Beaulieu River with a series of special tours at Beaulieu this summer.
On selected dates in June and July 2018, visitors are invited to join our expert tour guides as they offer an insight into the method of using a seine net to fish on a tidal river.
Meeting in front of Palace House, your tour guides will walk you through the monastic Outer Gatehouse and onto the river bank to watch our Estate workers cast the seine net and pull it back in with, hopefully, a catch of fish ranging from bass to sea trout.
If we’re lucky, we may take our catch back for the Cook to prepare in Palace House kitchen!
As well as an opportunity to watch this unique tradition in progress, our guides will also introduce you to the history of the Beaulieu River, sharing fascinating facts about the monks from Beaulieu Abbey who used to fish on it.
Seine Net Fishing Tours are included in your Beaulieu admission ticket. Find out more about our tickets and prices.
Seine Net Fishing on the Beaulieu River
- Friday 1st June 1:20pm - CANCELLED
- Friday 15th June 12:15pm
- Friday 29th June 12:25pm
- Friday 13th July 11:15am
- The tour lasts approx. 45 minutes.
- Please note there are no toilet facilities on the river bank.
- Appropriate footwear is advisable.
- The Veteran bus will leave the National Motor Museum 15 minutes before the tour to drop you off in front of Palace House or you can walk through the gardens at your own pace.